Friday, July 27, 2007

Nothing left to burn

You, have made me bleed. Not my body, but my soul has bled. My body has only shed tears. Tears of private grief, uncontrollable howls and sobs wrenching my heart have pushed me into depression. I have lived in a state of darkness; I have feared the unknown future. I have not been able to stand up and accept that it was really happening to me. Hope, desperate hope had filled my heart at the time. I hadn't protested against all the wrongs that you did to me --- covering my weakness for you, perhaps. I believed in you, truly and sincerely. I had submitted to the slightest whims and the most outrageous and humiliating demands, somehow trying to prove my faith and loyalty for you. Alas, you only judged me: when I opened my deepest secrets and fears to you, all I got back in return was a judgement: that I wasn't good enough, wasn't man enough. I almost got it ingrained into my psyche that I was a coward, a fool and a squib. You had shook my conviction in the power of goodness.

But then, time healed my wounds. Only after I brushed and shook off the burden of your judgement was I able to see and judge for myself. I have been able to judge in my own light what life has been around me: what I did wrong, and when I was right. The separation was painful, but it was simultaneously a leap of freedom as well. I didn't know if I had lost something or gained my light once more. How, I wonder now, had my carefree spirit wandered into those shackles, and how had I not seen through the guise? Why was I begging to state what I felt to be true, knew to be true? Why did I think that the chains that kept me from flying were actually golden beads on a necklace? What the fuck was I thinking?

It is over now. A year past of tumultuous times, when I had had some of the happiest moments of my life, to one of the saddest ever: I almost killed myself one day --- remember? But now I'm free. And although you killed a part of me, you have also given strength to a new part of my identity. I have known now when to stand up and fight for what I hold true, even against my near and dear. You have been my Krishna, unleashing me from my own fears; and you have also been my Kansa, killing seven innocent alter egos before you came for me. The hurt that has been will remain inside, locked in the iron chest of my own soul. Outside, my spirit shall soar --- the free bird minus a few dead feathers. What happens to you doesn't affect me any more as it used to: for I have learned how to not care about people. At this dark hour of the Friday night, I resolve not to even acknowledge the wounds: for confessing about them would mean giving them weight and importance. I will not acknowledge, never... and I mean NEVER tell anyone or even myself that I have had a dagger into my chest. That knife is as much a part of me now as my heart itself. I am beyond you now --- there's no wood left to burn.

38 comments:

Occasional Brilliance said...

hey welcm bk... been a long time since i read somethin u wrote... will b honest tho... dis ws unxpectd... n i hv three wrds... hugs, luv n prayers... :)

Princess Stefania said...

Kingdom of Black indeed!
Powerful stuff.

Cuckoo said...

Speechless !! Too powerful to say anything.

Zee said...

"Nobody said it was easy
Oh its such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said that it would be this hard
Oh take me back to the start"
- Coldplay

What's important to know is that when you decide to throw them out of your life...you just can...

Vadapoche said...

Awesome post! Hmmm remember gold is refined in fire.

annie said...

Beautifully written..seems as if you have written account of my life..i second you on each n everi word mentioned there..it's tuf rather terrible goin thru all of it alone..i'll wait for the time when even i can can proudly say to myself "Yes, i have burned my past away".Till then..my life hangs in there in between both angst and love by my side.i don't wanna turn away, i don't want to...cauz i know my love was for eternity and very sacred..Sigh!!!!

Princess Banter said...

Oh m'dear... I can so totally feel the pain and misery in your words. They were beautiful and endearing, yet still very sad. I hope everything turns out well *hugs and holds your hand*

The Black King said...

FireWhisky, thanks.. I'm fine.

Yes, Princess... it is black!

Cuckoo, thanks...

Zee, thanks for those lines. Yes, you sometimes just have to do it!

Jollyroger, thanks pal. The fire now has nothing left.

Annie... such is life. You need to kill that part of you, thats all.

Princess, thanks. Your words helped :)

IncorrigibleV said...

i too am rendered speechless at just the immense courage it must have taken to take that decision on non acknowledgement...
just have to say, when things just have to be done , there's no better way of doin it than takin control and emergin powerful.
hugs and love!

neers said...

Thats a brave thing to do...to take that decision. But i believe such times are necessary in life..bcoz only after these testing times,we emerge as more stronger than ever.

One of my fav lines i read somewhere.. "Its good to cry out all your tears, because only then will you be able to smile again."
So smile buddy...we're all with you!
lots of love...take care :)

neers said...

Btw, beautifully written. You have the amazing power to put the exact feelings into words.

Im a fan ;)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

ive been thru smthing similar once....n it just left me wiuth lotsa lessons...d most imp being.....reject ppl who make u feel dejected! lifez too short to b spent thinking low bout oneself!smeone who makes u feel small isnt worth any part of ur time energy or love!u are better off withou em...n u sure will find ppl who trust u n respect u...so dnt eva stop givin ppl a chance to knw u...thy might b d ones with ur share of smiles in it!:)

annie said...

I wish it was that easy..

Unknown said...

hey king...

u keep up to everybdy's expectations...very well written...

Rashi said...

u rock !

The Black King said...

Vandita thanks... it was a tough call.

Thanks Neeraja, that was very encouraging :)

Gunj, you're right --- it is just not worth it most of the time.

Annie, I never said it was easy. But you just have to do it, thats all.

Rashi, thanks a lot! Everybody's expectations, well... we'll see.

annie said...

Hmmmmm

The Black King said...

Yes, Annie... we have to.

annie said...

I keep cumin back to this post to hear the same bells ringin in my ears that keep remindin me of my reality.Some heartrending post!

bEAST said...

too powerful to comment upon, had read it bfor but not understood. aaj dubara read kia with time n patience. strong words for strong emotions. good!

leoNYdas said...

Good one! Truly from the heart, some of which echoes my own. Even though I was hurt many a times, I could never let go for that was most painful.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Hmmm...firstly am sorry to b commntin in so late was held up n caught up betwn exms n stuffs...:P.Wel coming back to the post..gosh utterly out out n salaam to u boss..hats off..so strong an emotion portrayed wel done..N indeed left me spellboundly speechless...bt tht doesn't mean im nt with u...my wishes n Im thr wid ya alwyz..:)
Grt going buddy...keep it up..
Love,
Mads.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

From tht doesn't mean Im nt wid u from tht i meant the speechless thing doesnt leave me being wid u..juz can't get the wrds..bt am alwyz thr :D..
So cheers buds

Anonymous said...

Dude,Getting bored here....

The Black King said...

Annie, yes... it did come from the heart. I'm sorry if it disturbs you, but thats just how it has been with me, you know.

Wow, Beast... you read it the second time! :) Thanks, anyway.

Leonydas, thanks... it is difficult to let go, I know.

Madhavi, thanks a lot, really... your appreciation meant a lot.

Anon, sorry... can post only on weekends. Should post something within the day.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Oye Black king ur most welcome anytime...n one more m not dat used to Madhavi so u cud cll me Mads or Maddy :p

Unknown said...

That was just awesome! You left me speechless.. Wow!! Could words be this powerful.. I could feel the pain.. Very few have made me feel this!
Kudos buddy!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Strider said...

I hope that with time all the wounds heal!
my warmest empathies!
take care black king!

Anonymous said...

During troubled times, I do not know what to say.
Words sometimes are too limited to express what the heart feels ... you take care and hang in there; though thats what you plan to do.

Sometimes we need to go through the pain to actually realise the worth of the happiness that we gain later. How would light be described if there were no darkness?
How would strength be known if it werent tested?
Take care pal.
Do let me ( your friends) know if you need anything. :)

Banvri said...

"there's no wood left to burn."

touched me

after reading this i came to only one conclusion that life is so unpredictable ..

take care :)

mathew said...

very powerful post..coz it is stark naked and genuine!!!

Appreciate your resolve to go ahead!!!

Nasia said...

i cannot believe u wrote this...
When i was almost feeling the same way...
Ur best till date.. loved it..

Still Searching said...

I loved the last line especially - "there's no wood left to burn".. This post is one after my heart.. I still remember the time that I remembered the hurt.. time takes the memory away too, after some time..

The Black King said...

Madhavi, I wouldn't want to spoil such a lovely name by calling you Mads or Maddy. You decide from between "Madho" and "Madhavi". On second thoughts, that Madho sounds better --- Oo Madho reeee!! :D

Thanks, Vivek... that was encouraging.

Strider, thanks. Time does heal it a lot!

Arpana, thanks... I'm fine. Thanks for the offer, though.

Chitrangada, life just happens this way. Thanks, anyway.

Matthew, yes, it has been difficult. But I'm trying :)

Thanks, Nasia --- it seems a lot of people identify with this.

Still searching... yes, life is interesting and touching at the same time. Time is the best healer.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Acha maddo is abstly fyn :D...oh maddo re sound kool...n tera naya naam hai BK...like it or nt

Stranger said...

Thought I would never comment on your blog after reading you-know-what, though I absolutely love your writing..... but this one is simply too good...

I like it when you write about lost love .... may be bcos i can relate to it ...

P.S. I hate flattery and those who flatter

The Black King said...

Madho re... BK is fine... sort of like baanke bihari!! :P

You're welcome, Stranger! I don't know what prompted you to resolve not to comment on my blog, but I'm glad that you did comment. :)