Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The book that was never mine

I was in Class 9 then. Very early at the beginning of the academic session, we had our annual prize-distribution ceremony for the previous year. Due to some mix-up, the person who had won the English recitation competition wasn't present that day in school and my name was printed instead on the cover paper. I had participated in that event, but I knew that I hadn't won the prize. Therefore, during the ceremony when my name was announced, I was so surprised! I ran a thousand theories through my mind as I went up to the podium to collect the book: "Did they tally the points later and find me to be the winner?", or "Maybe they ordered a special prize for me?". However, those thoughts didn't last so long in my head. I ran up to the podium, bowed and took the prize all shining and bright, and then returned to my seat in the audience all gleeful. Friends beside me slapped my back, a few people mouthed "Congrats" from afar, and one girl even shook my hand! I was having a very bright day of my life!!

I came back to my seat, and looked at the cover. I deftly cleaned a little speck of dirt on the cover, and watched with pride as the plastic cover on the book shone in the sunlight. I gently brought it up to my nose and smelt the book --- aah the smell of new books! I noticed the small card inside the wrapping, that said my name on it: "First Prize in English Recitation". I was so glad: "Mom would be so proud when I reach home and show this to her", I thought! I looked at the title of the book, "My Master as I saw Him", by Sister Nivedita. "Hmm... ", I thought, "maybe I will read it sometime: but it will definitely be something worth showing off on the bookshelf!".

However, the doubt in my head kept nagging me. And it didn't help matters that a friend of mine who was just a row behind me asked, "Didn't ____ win the prize? How come they gave it to you?". I didn't know: I shrugged it off. All through the rest of the presentation, I clung on to the book and kept it close to my heart. I clapped with double the glee whenever someone went up to get any prize --- I wished everyone had clapped like that when I went up for the prize.

Soon afterwards, we were back in the classroom for the second half of the day. I had forgot all about the book until the headmaster's peon came in with a little chit in his hand and gave it to the teacher. My name was called out, and all eyes turned to me. I was suddenly so self-conscious... being on stage was a different thing, but this was creepy. The peon came up to me, and asked for the book. For a second I feigned as if I didn't know what he meant. But there was no escape --- "You didn't win the prize, did you?", he asked, with the whole class listening, and held out his palm. Very slowly, my face turning all red, I reached into my bag and fished the book out. It seemed a little too heavy then: but I just gave it up and sat down with a sigh.

Oh, the eyes of my friends did not seem to leave me in the class. Whatever the teacher was saying, I couldn't concentrate any longer. Every single second I was conscious of some eyes from some corner of the classroom looking at me, as though asking what I had been sneaking up to. I felt as if I had stolen something and had just been convicted. And there was the dread, of what everyone will tell me right after the class, during the break. I sat uneasy and dejected, waiting for the class to get over. And it did get over after sometime. Most people had not turned up for the recitation competition itself: it was on some holiday and some had opted to stay at home rather than listen to recitations. And then now they had, within the span of a couple of hours, found that I had both won and not won something. Thankfully, they understood. Friends came up and told that it was surprising to see that the school had committed such a mistake; someone also commented that they should have let me keep the book. And the cordial way in which people actually sympathised with me made up for all the hollowness of the lost prize. At the end of the day, I thought, the book was never mine.

31 comments:

Occasional Brilliance said...

hey... tats relly well ritten... n it reminds me f a frend f mine (hu we call dumdum)... d same thing happnd 2 him in class 3 n cummon yaar... its class 3... they shud hv let him keep it... but he bawld a lot...

honestly, it feels horrible wn dey screw up n den 2 try n rectify it, dey kind f mk u feel bad...

bEAST said...

Nice and makes me nostalgic of something similar but not quite the thing as yours. Shall put it up on my blog someday. Waise the mistake here was hardly yours, the teachers should have been penalized for this!

Rashi said...

nice and new !

i personally feel sm one suffers fr else's actions..u may use a lesser heavy word if not 'suffer', but the effect is after all there..

keep rocking King !

Anonymous said...

Oh dear,
Any 9 std student would have gone through the same dilemma as you had but the stigma is still sticking in your mind!!!

Good narration - something to think about.

Princess Stefania said...

That's a lovely bunch of friends you have there.
Yes, it's a mania. That's getting a bit out of control. But who cares?
;)

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Hello firstly King,
Juz managed to intrude into ur kingdom n read ur post...First n foremost must tel therez kinda deep insight which got stirred within me whn i ws readin ur this particular post.For me i wud say no doubt itz somewhr the mistake
ofthe teachers bt didnt it help u rise a level up in maturity...for me it did readng d whole thing made me realise wt importance of 'our' thngs hold in our life..nt bein selfish at all bas generally kaha..this is wht i felt.
N comin 2 ur frnds..itz really an honour whn we r blessed wid spcl kinda frnds..u r indeed lucky..
BTw cn i blogroll u if u dnt mind :P u cn chck out mine too :)

neers said...

Hii :)
Very very well written!kabhi time mile to mujhe bhi thode tips de dena ;)

(btw, i deleted half of my comment :p im extremely bad at expressing myself..so i deleted it bcoz i thot it didnt come out well,plz dont mind)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

hey dat was well written....n i guess all d nice words of encouragemnt n praise bak thn n here on d blog are ur real prize :)
we love readin ur stuff....a lot :)

Zee said...

ur school was so stupid to have taken that book away from u. why cudn't they just buy another one for the winner and give it to him later??? idiots!

The Black King said...

Firewhisky, is everyone around you called something rhyming with "Dumbum"? :P Anyway, I can understand the poor kid's plight... it does feel bad.

No penalties, yaar Beast, it was just so weird. Will be looking forward to your post.

Rashi, thanks a lot! :) The word is somehow only 'suffer' --- there can't be a substitute.

Mohan, it wasn't a stigma... it was just a memory. Something to think about --- yeah definitely so.

Princess, yeah... some good friends have always been there beside me. But what mania? But anyway, who cares? :P

Madhavi, first of all, welcome to the black kingdom! :) Next, I'm so glad that you found the deeper spiritual undertones of the post. Thank you so much --- please feel free to add me to your blogroll. I'll visit your place soon.

Neeraja, tips lene ke liye personal tuition lijiye... only 500 rupees an hour! :P About your comment, please... please don't delete those jewels: I don't judge any comments!
Thanks a lot, BTW.

Gunj, thanks a lot, dear! Yeah those nice words do mean a lot to me.

Zee, apparently yeah... some places do have stupid people at the wrong positions! :)

Occasional Brilliance said...

na... dumbum is wt my collg ka ppl call me... bcz... well tats a long story... n highly inappropriate here :P

n dumdum is actually arindam... its jst a pain pronouncin his name, is all :P

Swetha said...

Somebody does the mistake and somebody else suffers! Its a cruel world huh !

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Yeps black king rolled u up on my blogpge..expct the same frm u quite soon..n ya i did find smthng really intrtng indepths fm ur blog :D..

Banvri said...

:)


u shd hav returned that book when ur name was annouced..( i know its easy to say )

yes that book was never yours n i think its good that u had to return that book :)

but i love they way u wrote this post very honest n it actually generate images :)

IncorrigibleV said...

wonderfully written ... and yes i agree this post does generate images...very much book material :)
and dumb school ppl, aise thodi na karte hain...
anyways as u said the book was never yours!

The Black King said...

Firewhisky, I'd love to hear the story behind 'Dumbum' some day :) And Arindam is a Bengali name, if I'm not wrong; but it still rhymes with Dumbum!! :P

The world is not fair, Dushti... there's no denying the fact.

Madhavi, thanks... I'll read a little more on your pages and then blogroll you.

Chitrangada, thanks... but returning the book would have created a greater scene than what I went through already. By the way, speaking of images, this new profile pic of yours is as lovely as the last one! :)

Vandita, thanks... kya karen abhi kar diya to? :)

Princess Banter said...

Oh.. but it wasn't your fault that you accepted it. After all, your name was called. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I've been witness to situations such as those... and my heart goes out to those people. But surely, you deserve that prize more than anyone or anything :)

arpana said...

beautifully written, simple language but wonderful imagery.
And, I guess some childhood incidents leave an indelible mark on us - many times it is these incidents that make us - US as adults.

Vadapoche said...

Dude, given the book, would u have read it? Think.....

Di said...

Wat i find interesting is that somehow such seemingly minor situations seem to very comfortably make place in r memories..and somehow refuse to leave :)

The Black King said...

Thanks a lot, Princess, coming from a writer like you, that means a lot!

Arpana, yes... these little things do shape us sometimes. Thanks for the compliments, though! :)

Jollyroger, would you believe me if I told you that I actually bought the book later on and read it? Besides, whether I read the book or not is not even the point here.

Di, yeah.... these things stick around.

mathew said...

Such inscidents are so trivial but haunts for a long time...I remember winning some prize in school..it was a beautiful pencil set..But someone from class stole it the same day..I was so heartbroken..it is so funny when u think about those times now..

Still Searching said...

Awww.. thats so sad! How dumb to take something away when it wasnt even your mistake! Not like u cheated or somethng! Btw, though ur school must be really stupid, ur classmates seem to be very nice and mature.. usually such a memory is more of a nightmare, but they made it better for u! :) nice post..

Pri said...

heeee now I’m thinking of all the super long prize distribution ceremonies i had to attend at school. There were these two sisters who won like 90% of the awards so it was very boring for the rest of us. we'd sit around gossiping or playing that lame game where u outline random objects on the back of someone’s shirt with your name badge and they try to guess what it is.

Bullshee said...

Aw....tough break man......should've looked the peon in the eye and called him something nasty like "Vile Mongrel" or "Scum of the earth".... kick in the nuts if you ask me.....

cm chap said...

At childage this kind of things affect the moral to a larger extent.. Its stupidity of the school. But ""one girl even shook my hand!!""... you have won more than the book dude... Don't u think so??

Cuckoo said...

I know I am late. That's because I was traveling. Now back.

Excellently written post... every detail of it. Quite gripping too. We all can very well relate to it. At one time, I was actually thinking what would have been your mother's reaction.

Keep posting.
And many thanks for blogrolling me.

The Black King said...

Oh yes Matthew... I completely know what you went through then. And I hate those people who come and say, "Oh it was just a pencil box!".

Still searching, thanks... yeah I had good friends. The memory is just a memory now -- neither nice nor sad.

Oooh I so remember those, too, Pri! We used to pass entire messages that way, scribbling alphabets on others' backs.

Bullshee, that should've ensured something else... :P

CM-Chap, oh no... wo to hote rehta tha, baad mein :)

Cuckoo, thanks for such encouraging words! I'm glad. :)

Princess Stefania said...

I'm adding you to my blogroll. Your Kingdom's a lovely place to unwind in.
;)

The Black King said...

I'm honoured, Princess :)

Nasia said...

I M BLOG ROLLING YOU!!!
havent been to ur page for quite long.. man!! awesome stuff...