Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blaarrrp!

A client was coming to visit our office. A British bloke, he had taken up our project very recently and was scheduled to visit his off-shore offices to check how the work was progressing here. Project excel sheets, slideshows were prepared, a cube identified for the man to come and sit right beside the manager (to shield us poor developers, that is) and the general mood of the whole project team shifted into a jumpy gear with the singular objective of getting the guy to be a little happy. Besides, with the client visit, there was definitely a party happening down the line: so the general mood was upbeat.

Along came the spider... err, sorry... the client. Hairy and bearded dude, this man seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face. Our team had been doing better than the other teams at other global locations, but still there seemed to be this nagging dis-satisfaction on his face about everything. We had the regular client meeting, and our manager here introduced him and gave a general overview of the team. This man was sweating continuously as though someone had a gun at his head all the time. When his turn to speak came, you could almost see the misery in his face, and somehow that translated into a really jarred voice and a foul temper. Thickset glasses, dishevelled and stubbly beard with a coat that he had to wear because of his "business" status made a totally hairy appearance: nothing short of Hagrid's spiders.

The man had brought along some weird PPT (I think he was recycling an age-old PPT anyway), and so half of what he said made little sense to us. Who was interested in that blabber anyway? We were rather looking forward to the mmmmmm-ing pizzas whose smell was floating in from the corridor outside. When he finally finished, the atmosphere of the room wasn't exactly a cheerful one: like you had one of those Dementors nearby that had sucked all happiness out of the room (no points for guessing who, though! :P). And boy did those spicy chicken tikka pizzas make the man's face contort!! We had huddled into groups and were talking in hushed tones, somehow the man's overall body language had intimidated us!

Food was quickly over, since the usual chatterboxes were silent. I went into the men's restroom to wash my hands and contribute some liquid to mother earth when I saw my friend S there. A brief nod, and we got busy with our jobs --- men's restroom golden rule: don't make a single noise or utter any word. I was almost done and zipping up when guess who walks in? Hairy-man!! Oomph, that ugly look from his eyes as he went into the comode stall made me want to slink away as soon as possible! Why the hell could I not get another project? S too seemed to be having similar thoughts as he finished drying his hands.

I was about to dry my hands and S was headed towards the door when it happened. A monstrous, upheaving, thunderous "blaarrrp" sound came from the stall where the magical creature (errmm... I mean the client) had disappeared. It was a combination of a downward windburst, a sudden explosive dumping of semi-solid material into water and a belch. And add to that the acute cry of "Aaaargggh" that the man had shouted from the stall --- S and I were flummoxed as we looked at each other. And that bugger S, without a single care of the world burst out laughing right in the middle of the restroom, after which that &$#**% ran out!! And the laughter was so infectious... I stood there with water dripping from my hands while I desperately tried to control my laughter: going "Hmmp, khee khee khee... hmmmppp..." and I too ran away from the loo as fast as my legs could carry me! I ran and ran, straight on to the project bay!! And there S and I laughed our guts out. It took us 15 minutes to settle down properly before we could narrate that incident to the others. Apparently when our manager was told this and he went for another session of meetings with this Spider-Man, he had a tough time keeping a straight face. Thank God we didn't come face to face with this hairy "blaarrp" beast again --- I would've totally lost it!! :D :D

20 comments:

Occasional Brilliance said...

oh my god!!! hehehehehehe... im sittin here bubbling wid mirth n my roomie thinks ive gone mad... i cnt imagine wt a tuf time it must hv been 4 u... teehee... hu says wrk cnt b fun? :P

Anonymous said...

I was guessing something like that while reading the presentation part itself!!!

But I can understand the laughter quotient you guys would have had. But hope the guy was smiles and your project review was good?

cheers
mohan!

IncorrigibleV said...

OH LORD!!!
that was ....... ewww and lol both together.
btw loved the HP lingo u mixed... u can HP fan too??? OOP dekhi?

The Black King said...

Dumbum, thanks... whoever says that obviously hasn't met me! :)

Mohan, yeah... apparently the man still didn't remember things so much.

Vandita, even I couldn't help it! HP lingo will keep appearing: moi also a fan. Abhi tak nahi dekha OOP :( [sidenote -- that sounds like Object Oriented Programming!]... will see with friends sometime soon.

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

lol
that seemed funny!
poor spiderman...m ure hez neva tasted spices before!

Rashi said...

lolz...ample fun, really !

Occasional Brilliance said...

i go watch harry pottr today... das baje ki show hai... n i chngd my name 2 firewhisky in celebrations... tee hee... big fan is moi as well... :D

formerly dumbum

IncorrigibleV said...

yeah sounds like object oriented programming :P
waise even i havent seen OOP as of yet, will go next week
aaj plans the jo doob gaye...
btw do u mind blogrollin me coz its hard to get back to my own blog from urs

Cuckoo said...

Ha Ha... funny it was.

Happens sometime... Poor fellow. You made fun of him ??

Bad bad. :P

bEAST said...

Thank God we didn't come face to face with this hairy "blaarrp" beast again...

Kindly clarify to your readers that im not the beast you are talking of. Lolz

Oh man, been to such situations myself, and they definitely aint easy to handle. So been away for quite a long time I c!

Princess Stefania said...

Ah! Pottermania got you too?
;)

cm chap said...

Ha ha funny creatures... Its really surprising when u get someone like this as ur client.

The Black King said...

Gunj, yeah... it seemed so. But I've heard that Indian food is quite popular in Britain as well.

Rashi, thanks! :)

Firewhisky, yeah... must-watch!!

Vandita, jo hukum madam --- I've blogrolled a lot of people now. :)

Cuckoo, tell me you would have behaved differently in my situation! :P

Beast, you'll know better than that --- at least you don't scream inside the restroom! :)

Princess, yeah --- it is a mania, isn't it?

Yeah, such is life -- CM-Chap! :D

Strider said...

LOL!

agree wid Vandita in that this was both 'eww' and 'lol'

u have pizzas after ur reviews?! :O
awesome!!
we don even get aspirin...

HP7- three days to go!! :D
njoy madi

IncorrigibleV said...

ohho bade saare naam hai...and mines second :)...i know nuthin to be happy abt, they're in reverse alphabetical order :P
anyways i'd dropped in to say i saw OOP today!!!! yippie :D awesome movie ... thodi dark hai but amazing nonetheless!

Zee said...

grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss hahahahaha

The Black King said...

Alas, Strider, it is only once in a bluemoon. We're not THAT fortunate! :) And yes, HP7 is coming... all ye muggles rejoice!! :)

Vandita, now I'm officially jealous. I will have to kill my friends now since they have been coming up with excuses for not going to watch this one!! :(

Zee, :) imagine me standing in that restroom that day --- you can't even imagine was gross is!! :)

annie said...

Funny!

The Black King said...

Annie, hey... thanks for dropping by! And thanks, of course! :)

Nasia said...

ROTFL!!!