Friday, August 10, 2007

The many faces of me

Every place I go to, it seems as if I forge a new identity. Somehow old contacts are forgotten, and the whole identity starts from scratch, from zero. Meeting new people, first impressions, the 'gang', and the whole new cup of socie-tea that I have to gulp down --- they never cease to amuse me. And the best part is, these first impressions go a long way in deciding what the rest of the stay will be like!

When we moved to a new colony, I met a new group of kids. Suddenly my old image of ''good batsman" was gone, and I was relegated to the position of a lackey fielder who was always placed in the ignominious corner of the field. Perhaps it helped me: because I shifted my attention to studies and did well in academics. However, I also lost that prime position in the field: no more opening batsman slots for me! Times changed, and along with them the circle of friends changed, too. When I shifted schools for class 12 and engineering entrance tuitions, everything suddenly shifted into academic mode. I used to see free-body diagrams in everything, and discusses similar things with friends. Consequently, the circle of friends I had there consisted exclusively of people who would think alike. I passed off as the mild-mannered gentleman who never swore, never mind the 'other' life that I lead. During a social gathering, one of my cousins actually asked or rather challenged me to swear aloud, and was really surprised to see that I could do that.

Then came the engineering college, where post ragging and post the unusual company of friends from all over in a hostel, it became difficult not to say a swear word as a placefiller for other words. And I found myself leading the verbal offensive in more than one occasion --- so I got a repute for myself. But then things toned down a lot, and I realized that it was actually not worth swearing when I could express myself otherwise. This, and coupled with the fact with my recent job suddenly brought to me a "good guy" image.

The fun part happens when people I know from different times met each other or had a glance of the other sides of my personalities. Friends from the engineering college are surprised to see a chivalrous me sometimes when I help others. Friends from my high school find it equally intriguing to see me swear aloud. My ex-girlfriend almost fell out of her chair when I talked dirty to her (she confessed she had expected that to never happen: thought she was stuck with a geek). My present room-mates burst out laughing when they met an old friend of mine and heard him describe me as the poster-child of good manners. And through this all, I observe them all like a detached observer, standing amidst all that happens around me, smiling to myself.

I wonder, who am I? Which of these faces is a mask and which is real? When I curse from within but the outside remains calm and serene, is it me? Or is it me when I am shouting obscenities to the black-marketeer at the cinema while I'm ashamed of all I utter inside? Is it me who goes down as the pinch hitter in crunch situations in the field? Or is it me who swears worse than a fishwife when someone manages to drop an easy catch in those situations? People have confessed to me that they haven't been able to figure me out: like the endgame challenge to the art of understanding people. I don't know --- the only person who perhaps knows and understands me is my mother. But I doubt if she knows it all, or will even believe if she sees it. I don't care, because I'm trying to find that out myself.

39 comments:

Nasia said...

aLL OF US go thru this ...
its partly wat life teaches us.. its partly.. the crowd... around us...Its all parts of urself.. which changed according to circumstance

Occasional Brilliance said...

i think that its d best way 2 live life... uv been a part of everything, uve been evryone that u cud possibly b n u knw what role ur comfortable in... it mks u flexible... able 2 tk things as n when dey come n mould urself 2 deal wid it...

Banvri said...

:)


what a wonderful post :)

and this happen with everyone ..everytime we hav to change our mask sumtime cus we want to ..sumtime forcefully ..but yes a person is comprise of many person ...or a person like me call this a person is comprise of many colors .:)

neers said...

Right..3 comments and everything has been said already!
Yes, everybody has different faces at different times..and abt trying to find urself..well thats what most of us r doing..there r loads of confused souls around..im one! :)

Shruti said...

Hmm, you have jot down the very basic fact of life..
We keep on changing or life makes us so..
As we grow, we came in contact with may people and many situations and accordingly we adjust ourselves and sometimes it happens instantly that we got a image of something and got stuck with that...
Many times, we even behave differently in home and with frens at the same time..
Its al abt company, situation and our maturity level.

Take care

Anonymous said...

the goal of life is to find yourself and be yourself, simple as they may seem, the words are hardest to be put into action

Vadapoche said...

That my friend are the side effects of an incredibly complicated process called "Growing Up".

bEAST said...

Hey, I dont know how you do it, but with each post you make me think that Im reading myself! I think that each phase of life brings sumthin new with it. Certain changes are retained and other unnecessary changes are reverted back or improved upon. But it is these changes that make life interesting and not monotonous. Cheers :)

Zee said...

oh god......i think of the same thing too....and i hate making my friends from different spheres meet....coz they're all so diffeent from each other and i've been such a different person with each one of them

Di said...

hey i think thats wat makes it more fun....everyone knows a different me....atleast it makes for interesting conversation wen all my differnt frnds meet..:P

The Black King said...

Nasia, thanks. You are right --- it is all a part of what they teach us.

Thanks Firewhisky, we do need to adjust.

Chitrangada, yes of course --- and I'm not surprised that given your talent, you perceive life to be a multicoloured hue on the canvas! :)

Neeraja, welcome to the club! :)

Shruti, you're right -- it is all about the situation and company.

Arpana, well said: so easy yet so difficult, ain't it?

Jollyroger, of course... what else is the whole growing up all about? Guess we never grow old, eh?

Beast, you pen the beautiful poetry yourself on the blog! Cheers :)

We're all different people with different company, right, Zee?

Di, it sure is a lot of fun when such diverse people meet!!

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Hmmm...life is life BK n it gives us ample roles to play n portray..n one who has acheived in finding out itz meaning is a true triumph..n Im no better myself..I hve this tagline in my profile..
Madhavi..In the quest of finding the meanin of my life..n me too dunno wht role or hw faces ive...PPle say i lead a simple life bt itz togethr wid complexities tht mke a zeal of living..stil finding n really confused abt my Identity...Madhavi is a mask bt wt lies beyond or further is stil unknown..n im on the quest..lemme hope atleast il find out someday..n wish u the sme buds..n btw really put dwn quite wel..as usual :)
Maddo[:P]

Zee said...

true....but don't know if that's a good thing...then who am i?

Rashi said...

very well said piece of mind...
feels like ma own...!

Princess Banter said...

I completely relate to this. I am a different person to different people too... and with me constantly hopping about, I get to play with many different identities as well. However, at the end of the day, I always look forward to going home to those people who know me the best. I find that I don't have to put up any front to be with them and that I no longer have to be confused about who I am. If only it's possible to be with them forever...

IncorrigibleV said...

i love the way uve lent words to something that everyone feels...
and beautiful words might i add.
quite true!

Unknown said...

This was one of the many reasons I had a description of that sort for me in my profile! We all toy around with different masks for different ppl. Somehow I managed to maintain my good boy status till this day, No swearings, calm and smiling most of the time.. But only I know what I have within ;) ! Thats prolly the only aspect that sets me aside from u in this aspect!
This one was too good! :)

annie said...

Black King is back after a long hiatus..Hey! This was a mind opener..Such things happens and we don't quite take notice of it. Atleast i don't. Lately, i have been feeling that i am living two lives (more about it maybe in a post).I feel that the 'real us' emerges only when the mask has solved it's purpose...which means...that we behave and tune our lives in accordance to our surroundings.

Swetha said...

Guess we all suffer from this multiple personality disorder :D

Anonymous said...

Its very true, we have so many masks and personalities and sometimes many wrongly identify one with us just by seeing the outer appearance although from inside we may be something different. Though sometimes the masks may be beneficial but at times it can also be dangerous...nice post!

Baliga said...

lol. diff situations and people bring out diff sides to our personality.. i think all of us go through tht bit..

The Black King said...

Oh Madho re! Thank you... that was very well summarized indeed.

You are the sum total of all that you profess to be, Zee --- it is as simple as that.

Rashi, want a piece of my mind? :D Just kidding... thanks a lot! :)

Princess, you're right -- such people are very special in life, and always a rare few.

Vandita, thanks... it is just what I feel, thats all.

Thanks, Vivek... we all hide a whole set of persona behind our masks, don't we?

Annie, don't worry --- we all go through the same things (as you will see in the other comments). Nobody can take away the 'real' you from you.

Dushti, yeah --- we all apparently do! :)

Thanks, Kalyan: and glad you liked it. I'll visit your blog soon.

Baliga, thanks --- it seems all of us do. BTW, thanks for checking this blog out!

Anonymous said...

just dropped in by ur blog....great one...Added you.

Seems heartbreak is the flavor of the season.....

Nice thing to bind common bloggers

Do visit mine : travelogueworthtwocents.blogspot.com

Tugga

cm chap said...

I feel these changes r the order of the day... In one way they teach u life isnt it..How to deal when u loose what you have...

Also it tells u nthg here is to stay...

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Oye BK thnk u thnk u for appreciatng my summarisation :D aur btw HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY TO U...JAI HIND...
Maddo

annie said...

Back King..Happy Independence Day!

The Black King said...

Tugga, thanks ... I don't know about the flavour of the season, but yes late night memories do stir up the most disturbing ones as I answer your comment.

They teach us a lot about life itself --- very true, CM-Chap!

Madho re... swatantrata divas aapko bhi mubarak ho! :)

Annie, thanks... it is the "Black" king, though! :) But I'd allow you this typo.

annie said...

Opps sorry...Ofcourse that was a typo!

Superficial Gibbering prater said...

good one...we are different person with school friends..someone else wid college frnds..someone else to a good looking gal...so on and so forth....actually after every act of cheating(i mean different masks to differnet ppl)..we loose our initial identity...we continuously evolve..like we start believing the in the fake mask that we are wearing...

Anonymous said...

blogrolled you...........

Princess Stefania said...

You get the 'surprise me be swearing' bit too?
;)
This post is such a coincidence. I was just mulling over them. Masks. Sometimes they makes life easier. The last two weeks have been crazy. I wouldn't have got through them without these masks.

annie said...

Have you resolved not to share perspectives on my blog...hehe!

cm chap said...

Dude.. This happens.. And I would say it gives a kind of opportunity too...

Strider said...

I guess my experience has been similar...
the school crowd thinks I am this sachhai ka moorat, maasumiyat ka epitome while the college crowd would drop dead laughin at the very idea...

:D

Anonymous said...

Every one starts with a new identity at so many times in his life and dude, this is just ok.

Chill. You have got a wonderful blog. Do dropin bi my blog too.

neers said...

any plans of updating the blog?? :p

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

hav u read d fountainhead?? if not pik up a copy soon....ull knw y i mentioned it here :)

The Black King said...

Annie, of course it was! :)

Thats very well put, SGP! Will see your place now.

Tugga, thanks! Lets see your place as well! Wait... where's your blog??

Princess, I would love to read your post on the same topic!

Annie, I'm sorry --- was away for some time. Will read your pending posts: I promise! :)

CM-Chap, yeah... strange opportunities do come up with this, I agree!

Strider, exactly my situation!! Hahha... good to see echoes of my own self.

Ashu, thanks a lot and welcome! :)

Aap ki hukum se kar liya update, Neeraja ma'am! :)

Gunj... yeah have heard about this one: will read sometime.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.