Thursday, August 23, 2007

Prove it

My apologies, people, for not having visited your blogs and not writing here as well for this long. I was away at my grandparents' place and lived without the internet for 10 days. Yes, I do sound like a complete addict, but I believe that it was an achievement. Anyway, without further ado, here's a post, and I promise juicier posts lined up for this weekend or a little later:

We all have our personal bars and standards. We live by them, and go to incredible lengths to see to it that they aren't violated. Some of it is a personal preference. Some of it --- we just want to test the limits. We test not just us, but everyone around us. To be accepted at a position of authority in our lives, we need these people to pass these watermarks. Those who exceed these become our heroes, and those who do not: they can never make it to a position of reverence.

I remember the time when I went to this neighbour who claimed he could help me with my maths problems. I had produced 3 problems as 'difficult' problems... claiming that I couldn't solve them. In reality, one of them was a tricky one: it had been solved in class and I knew that it was difficult. This neighbourhood 'uncle' got stumped at this one... and although he could solve one of the other two problems, he never really reached that position of reverence for me --- he remained just the "neighbourhood uncle" who can do some math.

We all do this, don't we, in some form or the other? And the desire to prove oneself also rouses us from slumber when the object of special attention is near. I knew this boy in our colony who used to bowl ferociously when his girlfriend passed beside the cricket ground --- and you could actually see him fume if you hit him to the ropes at those times.

Somehow we tend to seek approval of our own beliefs when we present these challenges to others. All those little romantic games of playing hard-to-get, maybe taunting the guy to do something that you know he wouldn't normally do: it is all a part of the judgement process. Perhaps nature designed us this way: if we have something to give, we want to know for sure that we're investing in the right lot. And if we have something to get, nature ensures that we fight for it to earn it. Don't you remember the twinkle at the corner of the eye of the girl when her classroom crush answers a question correctly which no-one else can get right? Do you miss the coach's grin when his best player is praised by all after the soccer match?

The lesson to take home is that we must be prepared for the challenge. Some like me love challenges --- I like fighting it out: to dive for that ball even on asphalt, or to prove the teacher wrong by scoring a 10/10 on a test (although I suspect he used to do it on purpose). Some others among us are the challenge themselves. Every single time you want to lead, you must do it from the front. You have to prove your credentials: pedigree doesn't count for much on the actual battlefield --- the true hero's character will show through any day. Prove it to your team that you can lead, and that when the time comes you can call a spade a spade. Prove it to yourself, that you practice what you preach. As they say, one ounce of practice is worth twenty tons of big talk.

29 comments:

Phoenix said...

:)


nice!

my first visit here but surely not my last!

neers said...

Oh welcome back! U survived without the internet for 10 days?? 10..whole..days?? :O
*Applauds*

Coming to the post, what do i say yaar...u r fab! U manage to put all the exact thoughts into words..how do u do it??

annie said...

I thank God that i wasn't born in the age when there was no internet...u survived 10 days w/o it...woooh!!

Your posts leave me in such a thinking mode that i first need to burrow myself under a pillow and then come out of hidin and tell myself - yeah i too can put my thoughts into words. You do it really well!

On that challenging note, your post had inspired me to overcome the biggest obstruction facin my life, my career today. Thanks!

annie said...

Opps replace had inspired with has inspired.

Silly me!

Occasional Brilliance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Occasional Brilliance said...

dr ws a mr. basu teaching us politics (its my fav subject being taught by my least fav person). he walkd in2 class n declard tat women shud mt b allowd 2 vote. ds ws in class X, n i walkd out f his class claiming my rite 2 freedom f speech n xpression [:P] i stood outside my class as tho id been punishd... his class gt ovr n he saunters up2 me n tells me "im nt goin 2 give u mr dn 10" (on d 20 mrk papr we hd 4 politics). i stoppd studyin 4 politics n concentratd on geo n history. i gt full marks in both subjects n scored 10 widout studyin in politics. d same guy walks up2 me n tells me "y dint u study 4 my papr?" i ws quick 2 remind him f his threat n d look on his face ws priceless. mr. basu nw knws bettr den 2 mess wid me. i get a kick out f proving ppl rong n hving dese challenges thrwn @ me. d tougher it is d mr fun i hv...

P.S - srry abt d upar wala mess. only half my comment gt postd...

Strider said...

nice post as usual! :)

yes its true that pedigree doesnt matter... u gotta show what u are on any given day

Nasia said...

how do u always write stuff i HAVE/SUPPOSED to read at the perfect time

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Oh my God i dnt believe it evrytime such strong notions generating from u..ya I so agree on it...prove it to show tht ur indeed the best...n simply luved the line 'one ounce of practice is worth twenty tons of big talk.'even if v put in half d effort it wil show..indeed u hve inspired to do much better n to prove my credentials n let the pple know whom Im...way to go BK :P
Madho.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Oh fuggot to appreciate ur survival skill jolly 10 days really kool...:) mez toh wouldnt hve imagined even..:p
Gud wrk...

starry said...

Welcome back.I have to admire you for not getting on the internet f10 days , I would have been having withdrawal symptoms. Interesting post and it made me think.Life is a challenge and I think challenges make us grow and without it we would be empty.

Anonymous said...

@BK : Gosh, 10 days without net. That to me is like 10 births. I couldnt have survived even a moment of it.

You have expressed the thoughts behind the post very well. Somehow we judge the person on the merit of how good he/she comes to find a solution to the challenges we put forth before them, no matter thats a known one for us or we might have found out a way to them.

Somehow i can relate to your last para -- challenge ourselves, fight out, be candid and be on the same page of action what you speak. At least i was same when i was in happier times. Now i need to reinvent myselves....

Do we blogroll each other ?

The Black King said...

Phoenix, thanks! Would like to see you here, for sure.

Your words are really encouraging, Neeraja: thanks! And yes, all your blogs are the secret of my own energy! :)

Annie, I'm glad to know that. May you shine through all the darkness around you!

Firewhisky, well done! That attitude and fighting spirit will carry you far.

Strider, thanks... we always need to be true to ourselves, don't we?

Nasia, it is called "sweet timing"! :)

Madho re... I looked it up and it seems that the quote is from Swami Vivekananda. Stirring, isn't it? And yes I'm alive without 10 days of the net! :)

Starry nights, thanks! :)

The Black King said...

Ashu, looks like we're online together! Yes, we need to constantly keep reinventing ourselves so that the inner form remains pure and untouched. Feel free to add the link to my blog from yours -- I'll do it before I sleep tonight! :)

Vadapoche said...

"one ounce of practice is worth twenty tons of big talk"

Awesome.
Welcome bk.

Zee said...

so needed....as in personally for me...am taking up a new assignment and it will be a challenge...

nice post!

Princess Stefania said...

10 days? Impressive. I wouldn't have made it.
;)
Your posts are extremely thought provoking.

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Oye BK....stirring kya stirring it just blasted my entire system lolol..nahi yaar really heart touching one...n 10 days sachi re commendable..bows down to appreciate u :)

Unknown said...

Dude.. Awesome! I could see more and more of my thoughts that I have identified as my own here in your blog!

The best challenge in the world is to prove yourself to someone who has no faith in you. I too have episodes similar to your 10/10. ;)

Good one.. as usual :) You are indeed the king of bl(og|ack)s! (A regular expn :P)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

loved it :)

IncorrigibleV said...

loved the post, thats all i rem that i had planned on writin when i had read this post :p
pata nahi kaise comment karna bhool gayi...
anyways rock on buddy :)

Princess Stefania said...

I agree with Vivek. You're saying everything I'm thinking, just better.
;)

mathew said...

well written post...liked the presentation and example you gave..guess it is human instinct to prove ourselves..or maybe it is animal instinct..just like the male lions fight out to impress the lioness..

Bullshee said...

I find myself lacking a challenge....
maybe finding a new challenge is the challenge itself, what say?

cm chap said...

Wats hapng dude??? No updates

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Oye BK ???
whrz u ???? n btw i updated my blog check if u hve the time....

Anonymous said...

stop taking heroin, should be your real challenge. bye, im fed up of you. for real. good luck

The Black King said...

Jollyroger, I looked around a bit and it seems that the quote is from Swami Vivekananda. But I agree, it is awesome! :)

Good luck with your new assignment, Zee!

Thanks, Princess... I do put some thought behind the posts. And do I read minds? :) I don't know --- maybe we all think alike.

Madho re... your good wishes are accepted. Thank you thank you... and yes I did visit your blog now.

Vivek... that was flattering, honest! Thank you so much :)

Gunj, thank you :)

Vandita, thanks!

Matthew, yes... the instinct is very natural I suppose.

Bullshee, yeah maybe: good luck on this challenge! :)

Sorry CM-Chap: long story! Will update soon.

The Black King said...

Soul, my dear... how did you discover my stash of heroin? Fed up of having to listen to me? Oh well... only if you heard me in person.

Jokes apart, I don't know who you are or why you're angry. So I can't help: sorry!