Friday, June 15, 2007

Yet another software guy

A common theme I see in many blog posts is that of some people getting married, or their friends getting married and such. Which is all very rosy, until the groom in question is a software professional. I've seen people posting things like 'monotony', 'boring', 'yet another software guy' and such things without the slightest hesitation on these topics... like such people are the scum of the earth. The pseudo-intellectuals go out to give advice, asking their friends to think twice before they marry that guy. Your life will be ruined... you will give up everything you could be and will be stuck, and so on and so forth comes the advice. And this sort of gets me mad.

Yes, a lot of software engineers do the same stuff all day: ponder over and write code, when they are not attending meetings. But who the hell are you to judge all such people under your enormous intellect? You don't even know what they think about, learn and work with --- but you are the first to come up with an opinion on ALL software professionals! Do you think that becoming an engineer is easy? All the toils of going to the tuition classes, surviving exams where each professor thinks theirs is the only subject the students have, living through hellish conditions in hostels and messes just to get that degree --- all that is a farce? People spent the prime time of their lives learning how the immense machinery works, how all of it fits together, and you come there and pass your sacred judgement: yeah they're all the same!

Who the fuck gave you an authority to judge everyone, eh? What the hell do you know or understand of software that you pass your smart-ass comments? How many times do you think and ponder a moment before you fish out your credit card? Do you ever wonder what helped the contractor decide which cement will support the building you're in right now? Does your fat ass ever wonder about how the car you rode to work today was designed, what softwares aided that? Do you even know that your life insurance premium and all the people who depend on that insurance are safe because some bloody software engineer wrote the code to track them?

Dear armchair visionary, please step down from your ivory tower and look at the human before you pronounce your judgement. All the time you hear women wanting someone who will love them for the person they are and not their breasts. Well, reciprocate that --- don't judge a guy just because he is a software engineer. Look at the person, and know him! There is enough life beyond the office that you'll find in the guy. Stop being foolish, and stop your juvenile antics decrying anyone because he is working in the software industry. He has earned every single penny that comes in his fat paycheck... he deserves it! You don't want to marry someone financially stable --- that is your lousy problem. Stop being a loser and calling the grapes sour --- you don't deserve them!

21 comments:

cm chap said...

Dude.. I really loved ur passion for what u do... I too share the same passion... Do I need to say I'm also a proud S/W engr?

Kanupriya said...

oops! looks like someone just stepped on ur nerves ;)

arpana said...

atta boy :) *pow - bang - plat* and the opposition lays in tatters

(though Im not a S/W Eng - I admit when it gets on my nerves when someone is dismissed lightly)

arpana said...

hey! I write justkeepsakes as well :) this IS the original ID which I had to change due to various reasons .... and thanks for the words of encouragement :)
I hope they help.

Unknown said...

That was a really cool post!! I ve seen people clubbing together all sw professionals as one and considering them less esteemed when compared to the rest.. You ve voiced my opinions very precisely!!
Kudos to u dude :)

The Black King said...

cm-chap, thanks mate! Yes... we ought to be proud of what we do.

Kanupriya, yeah I was pretty riled up :)

Arpana, okay... so multiple personalities, eh? Thanks for appreciating the sentiment behind the post.

Vivek, thanks pal.

Swetha said...

IMO, yet another s/w guy just refers to the fact that you are one among the million other s/w engineers. I dont think it means to degrade your profession.

Montony and boredom sets in every job....s/w, h/w whatever!

Btw, I thought s/w engineers were the most sought after for marriage !

mathew said...

Lol!!..i liked the way u put it up..some anger vented out looks so nice!!

but on a serious note.why care about what others think about us..it aint really matters..isnt it!!

Alpine Path said...

Great post! People shouldn't pass judgements on others without thinking twice. And, clubbing people and discriminating them based on profession is a stupid thing to do, IMHO.

The Black King said...

Dushti, apparently they are sought after only by the parents: some "highly intellectual" and snooty ladies prefer to pass a judgement before they even meet the guy.

Mathew, thanks... it does matter to me when my friends are judged and told these things, and they come and talk to me about this. Thanks for dropping by, anyway.

Alpine path, thanks... I agree.

Princess Banter said...

Amen dude! I do hate all the stereotypes that come with the IT industry... and I hate it even more when people go "u've met someone in IT, u've met them all" especially when they have no idea how to turn on a computer. Ugh! I hear what you're saying... I get my fair share of judgment too being in IT. But quite the opposite. Just cuz I have highlights on my hair, have a perfect french manicure and wear heels... everyone in the IT field thinks I'm a bimbo who probably slept my way into the position. Sometimes I'm convinced there's really no way of winning...

Bullshee said...

Woohoo!!! S/W rules!!!!
Okay maybe thats going overboard a little, but what drives you to be so vividly passionate about S/W-haters???hmmmmmmm?

Itzme_Rt said...

the only thing running through my head was if i've been guilty of a blog-post defaming software professionals.. but, i don't think I am.. but, men in general... oh well.. there's plenty of room for comment on that! lol.

Cuckoo said...

Being a software professional myself, I can understand your anger & frustration. Really vented out well thru your post.

And thanks for liking my posts & my views. I have mentioned a very few in "my fav posts", some others are good as well which were liked by others. :)

Keep visiting. You'll get to know more about my views.

Once again, a good post.

The Black King said...

Princess, exactly my thoughts. And I agree and sympathize with your predicament: as though everyone takes a shortcut into success. BTW, you paint a very pretty picture of yourself... makes me want to meet you sometime in person. :)

Bullshee, I was mad because a friend of mine was not treated properly and dismissed as "yet another software guy" a few weeks ago by one girl.

Aarti, yeah... plenty of room to comment for sure so long as we don't generalize. We're all allowed to make fun :)

Cuckoo, thanks for understanding. I'll keep visiting your blog often :)

A Muser said...

Tsk, tsk, don't know why you're wasting your time retaliating to such loser women. My ex-b.f. is a software engineer, and he's terribly smart. Have always hung around software engineers and find them a generally enlightened bunch. Don't know where these women get their attitude from.

starry said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hear you.no one has the authority to judge some one else.I think we need each other.and every profession is dependent on each other to survive.

Divya said...

wow, wow, someone just chilled out by shouting their heart out. Good good. I think s/w guys are really highly valued in the 'marriage market' though.

The Black King said...

Muser, thanks for understanding. And I also appreciate your open-ness about the ex-b.f. and stuff.

Starry nights, well said! And welcome.

Divya, yeah shouting the heart out does help at times. Yeah s/w guys are generally valued high, I was just getting even with a few who pronounced ill-informed judgements.

IncorrigibleV said...

really?? i also thot otherwise, abt the software ppl being sought after.... waise im an engineerin student too...understand all that us ppl go through, and i would wanna know who these ppl wid all the faaltu ka unwanted attitude are!!!
glad u wrote abt this.

The Black King said...

Glad you liked it, Vandita! :)